Sunday, June 21, 2009

At Last, I'm a Senior!

At last, we have come to the stunning conclusion of this story. This chapter chronicles the last year of my life up to this point. Boy, what a year it’s been. I have never seen a year go by so quickly, but I guess that’s inevitable. Having grown through the years into the person I’d become, I began to prepare for the end of high school and the beginning of college and afterwards the rest of my life. Oddly enough, I find it difficult to write about senior year. It’s happened so recently that it’s hard to tell what I’ll remember. I’ll try my best, though.
I guess the first thing I can write about is my first trip to Washington D.C.! I went along with Ali, Taylor, Mitchell, Sam, Justin, and Elizabeth as well as the 8th Grade class. My experience there was amazing, and the seven of us spent the 5-day vacation walking through the plazas and visiting the museums. I found it unfortunate that the 8th Graders missed having to ask each other to the dinner at the hotel. (Granted, I never had to either, but we can’t all be lucky, can we?)
The bulk of senior year, at least for the beginning, was trying to figure out which college was right for us. After visiting three of my top college choices, I decided to stick with OC. During that time, I was also struggling with my choice between engineering and journalism. On one hand, I was really good with engineering, and I enjoyed mathematics most of the time, not to mention the decent wages. On the other hand, I REALLY enjoy writing, and I’ve wanted to go into writing since 4th Grade. In the end, I decided to try my hand at journalism.
Senior year was a very different experience with friends. Matt, Fiona, and Lauren, the people I usually hung out with, had left the school. So, I started hanging out with my other classmates, particularly Corey and Tim. In second semester, I also started hanging out with Deanna, as most of you probably already knew.
Speaking of which, the senior prom was making its way into the conversations yet again. With the Juniors planning it out, the topic was much more laid back for us more “experienced” seniors. However, the guys still had the obligation to ask… The Question. (And Joseph, if you’re reading this, that doesn’t mean a proposal). Waiting for the opportune moment, I mustered up the courage to ask Deanna. There was a brief silence and then a yes, followed by a 15-minute drive home, the events of which will remain undisclosed for eternity.
And thus, on April 24… or somewhere around there, the invitations went out. On with the week, the Juniors and Seniors prepared for the joyous event. The day of prom, the Seniors and Juniors had the day off; the girls would spend the day getting ready while the guys would watch Wolverine and rent that tux they’ve been meaning to get…er, or so I’ve been told. It may have been just a rumor…Ahem, anyway, the prom was a blast! Taylor and Ali were crowned king and queen, and then we all went dancing. Corey, Ali, Jamie, and Jonathan showed us all up on the dance floor. Roland kept the party lively. And of course, Deanna and I got to dance together late into night… or at least until 11. It was a night to remember...
Now, who could forget this year’s WCA theater production, aka Harvey! It’s the story of a middle-aged man with a 6-foot, 1½-inch rabbit. Tim and I were the psychiatrists, and Sam was the judge. Despite the major scene cuts and 5-6 hour practices, the play was a fun experience… But please buy the DVD!
So, those are the main events of my last year at the school. It has been quite an awesome experience here, and Wright has transformed me completely! I hope these memories will continue to inspire me through my college years and so on. For now, it’s Belize and the rest of the summer for me to enjoy.

No comments: