Monday, December 7, 2009

Simple Literature

You know, I've been hearing lots of comments about the types of books we read. The dominant quote is the following: "Why can't these people speak English and talk in a way everyone can understand?" After some thorough consideration, I have this to say: I couldn't agree more! I mean, what is the point of writing something if those who read it can't comprehend it! I mean, good modern writers should write something that appeals to the simplistic desires of the general public! It's an outrage to write a book if the average man can't even comprehend its meaning!
And during my thorough meditation of this concept, another thought occurred to me. Why stop there? Why should we simply criticize this vast flaw of literature without expanding our boundaries to include the more popular art forms, such as visual artistry! Take this photo for example.





Ophelia


Now, what's up with that? Is that a lady by a tree? Well, I suppose it is! But what's she reaching for? And what's up with those other branches? Gah! There's too much to look at! It's too confusing. I mean, why bother with all that detailed stuff anyway? It doesn't really affect the main theme of the painting as a whole, does it? It's not absolutely necessary. Let's see... as far as I can tell, it's a painting of a lady standing by a tree... oh, and birds. There's birds too. Well, then. How about this?






Simplified!


See? Easy to draw. Easy to understand! Everybody wins! Life's a lot better when it's simple, isn't it? Now if you'll excuse me, I have to finish reading Macbeth.

No comments: